Monday, August 3, 2009

Purpose and Practice

Well, my month of mourning is done. Time to get back on the stick. Here is the question that I am dealing with: what am I going to do with the rest of my life?

The first part of the question deals with purpose. I went to Temple to help start a church and that went belly up in less than six months. I don't regret that decision but I am still a little gun shy, I guess. I mean that I still want to serve God by building up the Church universal but I don't know how to go about it. If I didn't have to worry about the lease in Temple, I would see about joining up with a church planting organization. As it stands right now, I have no idea what is next. I think I can be okay with that, it just means that now is a time to prepare for whatever comes next. Time for spiritual and physical self-discipline.

The second part of the question deals with practicality. I need money to survive so that I can serve. And I just don't see myself getting a career that is not in ministry. Frankly, I don't do well in jobs I don't care about and I find it harder and harder to care about any job that isn't directly ministry. But a funny thing did happen to me, in that Holy Spirit sort of way. I typed in a Google search, asking God what job He wanted me to have. And the first item on the list was about monetizing my blog, among other things. So, before this month is through, I am going to get my own blog address and see what there is to see. I'll post an update with the new address when that is ready. In the mean time, I'll have to make money more traditionally. We'll see what I can scrounge up.

I am 28, single, and back living with my parents. A year from now, I have no idea where I might be. But if 27 was any indication, it should be a wild ride. I hope it will be interesting to the audience, too. But mostly, I hope to serve You well.

No comments: