Tuesday, April 13, 2010

On Interpreting Scripture and Why We Are Screwed

So, I was looking through my RSS feed (man, I love that thing) and Christ and Pop Culture put up a link to an interview with Jennifer Knapp, talking about her life, her Sabbatical from Christian music, and her coming out of the closet. First, that makes me sad. I'm not a fan. I picked up one of her albums because it was free and have heard her music on KSBJ (before the advent of the iPod I used to listen to the radio; it's crazy). But from what I hazily recall, she did good work. But even had she not, she claims to be a Christian and I want good for all who make such a claim. And homosexuality is not good, it's not beneficial, and there will be a cost.

I am also perplexed. I read in Scripture a very strong and clear condemnation of homosexuality. It is a sin. So how do you go from Scriptures condemnation of it as an unnatural lust to it being acceptable and good? So, I read a bit of her interview and even a link to a gay christian website. That is when I got mad. Essentially, they accuse me of being fearful and bigoted, persecuting them like the Pharisees persecuted Jesus. Now aside from not liking being called a Pharisee...

...DON'T SAY THAT YOU ARE BEING LIKE CHRIST WHEN YOU ARE TWISTING SCRIPTURE TO JUSTIFY YOUR SIN!!! It's kind of like when a rich white guy compares himself to Rosa Parks (I cannot tell you how long I have wanted to use that reference) except INFINITELY worse because you are comparing yourself to our perfect Lord.

And that will end the screaming portion of this post. Because once the anger is acknowledged, the sadness returns. I don't know how it happened or when, but people who acknowledge a need for Jesus and for grace and for mercy have been deceived. It was Satan's first tactic and with it he excels. Satan was so bold as to attempt such a maneuver against Christ Himself. It's not a surprise that it worked on them or anyone else. It is so much easier to convince someone of a lie. There are people smarter, wiser, more informed, and have read the Bible more than me who are Muslims, Jews, Hindus, Buddhists, and Atheists. Just talking to one person who is sure that they are right makes me wonder if I'm the crazy one. But again, the unbelievers don't sadden me. And they certainly don't scare me. Because if you want to look at something truly terrifying, it is this:

"Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'" -Matthew 7:21-23.

That someone could wield power in the name of God and not be saved, that they could go to their deaths convinced that they were Heaven-bound only to find that they were absolutely wrong. There is no metric for salvation save a relationship with Jesus. And without that, there is no revelation, no truth, and no hope.

Where there is no revelation, the people cast off restraint; but blessed is he who keeps the law. -Proverbs 29:18.

No comments: