Sunday, April 4, 2010

Quick Interlude

I realize that this is not about George Lucas. I started collecting my thoughts, walking and talking and recording. I finished my ramblings to find that I had recorded over twenty minutes of material, and that was incomplete. So, I'm going to have to break that up into a few posts. In the mean time, a brief account of what I did yesterday.

My brother was expecting an iPad at the shop yesterday but he was going to be tied up with new member class at church. So I go into the shop for 4 hours to wait for the delivery, only for it to arrive 10 minutes after he shows up. But the iPad (or as my little nephew calls it, "Daddy's big phone") is very nice. I wouldn't have any use for it right now but Apple makes pretty tech. But truth be told, I don't like the idea behind owning an Apple computer. The Mac versus PC argument is about freedom versus convenience. A Mac will do pretty much everything the average consumer wants it to do (except play most video games but consoles are so common that it isn't that big of an issue). And a Mac will do it fairly well, but you can only do it one way. If that one way doesn't work for you, you are boned. A PC can do everything that anyone wants it to do but the more customized you want it, the more work it takes. Truthfully, it isn't that I have done anything on my laptop that I couldn't have done on a PC (except, again for the video games). But having freedom I don't need right now is better for my sensibilities than having a shiny package I don't care too much about (blah blah blah, Calvinism reference). And I can still use my iPod Touch so best of both worlds.

Anyway, from the shop I went to the comic book store and picked up the last issue of Blackest Night (don't worry, K, no spoilers here). Since Blackest Night leads right into Brightest Day, it's no surprise that the final issue did not end the story arc. It was still a satisfying conclusion. Oddly enough, it was an ending like this that caused me to leave the Avengers after Secret Invasion. Well, that's not entirely true. The ending of Secret Invasion was much grimmer in tone. But what got me was that Secret Invasion, a story which spanned some dozen books a month, was leading directly into Dark Reign and another dozen or so books a month. And with that, I left.

Some breaks from books are longer than others. I left X-Men because Cyclops was telepathically cheating on Pheonix with the White Queen and then ended up with the White Queen after immediately after Pheonix's death. I mean, her body wasn't even cold, yet. Spider-Man made a deal with the devil (not figuratively, like the Green Goblin or Dr. Doom, I mean the Marvel universe's representation of the actual devil). And whatever rationale they have tossed out since then, heroes don't make deals with the devil. Period. These are big issues for me, what actually makes someone heroic. And though I have no doubt that such thins will be fixed down the line, until they are I am keeping my distance. But with all that said, I would pick up the Avengers right now if money weren't an issue. But since it is, I go with the mega-story arc that I prefer, where the heroes are just a bit more heroic.

But all of that is not what I wanted to talk about. For yesterday, April the Fourth, Addo Domini MMX, I began the most nerdy of all my endeavors: I spent multiple hours trying to decipher a made up language from a comic book (actually, spending some 50 hours working on an Excel D&D spreadsheet may be nerdier; I'll have to wait on the judges' decision). The whole process intrigues me: it's problem solving; it's storytelling; it appeals to my language skills; and it draws me into a conversation over a subject I like. So, anyone who possible stumbles onto this seeking clues to the meaning of the Indigo Tribe language, here are a couple good
places I have come across.

Well, so much for quick. Blessings.

No comments: